Preventing Split Ends
Summertime is a battle against damaging your hair. Split ends are the result of fraying the hair shaft due to excessive heat, dryness, stress and excessive use of chemicals. Split ends can make your hair look dull, damaged and even frizzy. To win the battle against damaged hair, you need to know how to prevent split ends.
- The best way to prevent split ends is to learn healthy daily habits to ensure the best care for our hair. By using proper hair care, you can also strengthen your hair.
- Brushing your hair correctly is very important. Do not use a harsh brush on your hair. Use a cushioned paddle with flexible bristles. Use a brush on your hair only when its dry.
- Don't wash your hair every day. Washing every other day allows the natural oils to help protect your hair. Apply shampoo to the crown of your head and lather downward keeping your hair straight.
- Condition your ends. Apply conditioner directly to the ends of your hair and leave it on for a few minutes. For additional conditioning, use a leave-in conditioner afterwards.
- Do not bunch your hair in a towel. Wrap a towel around your hair and squeeze different areas to pull out the excess water.
- Brushing wet hair will make it more susceptible to tearing. Only use a wide tooth comb on wet hair. This will help manage your hair without causing breakage to the ends.
- Anything that uses heat to style your hair can damage it. Try to style with as few of products and let it air dry. If you must use a hair dryer avoid placing direct heat on the ends of your hair until absolutely necessary.
- Get regular haircuts. When getting your hair trimmed, cut about an inch to an inch and a half above the split end. Split ends will continue to grow if you don't take care of the damaged hair.
- Use high quality hair care products. Consult your stylist for recommendations.
Always, always, always be gentle with your hair. Treat is like its a delicate fabric.
ARE YOU BEACH READY?
In the summertime many people flock to the beach for their summer vacation. If you plan on hitting the beach this summer here are a few tips before you go:
- 1. Go to the beach early. It is usually less crowded and the sun is not as intense as it will be later in the day.??
- 2. Always bring sunscreen. Sunscreen is essential. Know the difference in the types of sunscreen that is available. Experts recommend nothing less than SPF 30. Apply 15 minutes before going outdoors and every two hours thereafter. If going in the water, reapply each time you get out of the water. (Remember the sun's rays are hottest between 10 am. and 2 pm.)
- 3. Sunglasses Your eyes are sensitive to the sun as well. Do not forget to bring sunglasses. Be sure to bring sunglasses with UVA/UVB protection.
- 4. Electronics. Protect your cell phone and other electronics from sand and water by placing it in a Ziploc bag. You can still use it in the Ziploc bag.
- 5. Hide your valuables. Use a chap stick container or a diaper to hide your money.
- 6. Water. Stay hydrated while at the beach. Bring and drink a lot of water.
- 7. Shaving with baby oil before heading to the beach. It will help keep your skin smooth.
- 8. Bring apple cider vinegar. Spray it on a sunburn for instant relief.
- 9. Bring baby powder. When you are done with the beach, sprinkle baby powder on your skin and the sand will wipe off.
- 10. Put aloe vera gel in ice cube trays and place in your freezer. When you get home put it on your warm body and it will help sooth your skin.